EVANS, Owen, ca. 1687-1757
From Quaker Dictionary
Owen Evans (ca. 1687 - March 1, 1757) was a Welsh-American Friend, elder, business owner and representative to the Pennsylvania Assembly while living in Philadelphia.
- Name: Owen Evans
- Alternative names:
- Gender: M
- Birth date: ca. 1687
- Place of birth: Goch (?), Merionethshire, Wales
- Nationality: Wales, US
- Spouse(s): Ruth Miles, Mary Nicholas (m. 1736)
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 1 March 1757
- Place of death: Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
- Works by:
Owen Evans was born around 1687 in Merionetshore, Wales to Thomas and Ann Evans (or ap Evan). He came to America in 1698. His first marriage was to Ruth Miles. In 1736, Evans married again, this time to Mary Nicholas of Philadelphia. He worked as a store-keeper and Justice of the Peace, also becoming a meeting elder in 1743. For several years, he was a member of the Assembly as a representative for the County of Philadelphia.
- Jenkins, Historical Collections relating to Gwynedd, p. 69.
- Haines, Clovercroft Chronicles, p. 180, John Smith’s ms., 1:655.