EVANS (or ap Evan), Thomas, 1650-1738
From Quaker Dictionary
Thomas Evans (1650 or 1651 - December 10, 1738) was a Welsh-American Friend, Yeoman and overseer at Goshen Meeting.
- Name: Thomas Evans
- Alternative names: Thomas ap Evan
- Birth date: 1650 or 1651
- Place of birth: Fran Goch, near Merionethshire, Wales
- Nationality: Wales, US
- Spouse(s): Ann, Hannah (Price) Davies (or Davids or David)
- Children: Robert (ca. 1674), Hugh (b. 1682), Evan (b. 1684), Owen (b. 1687)
- Meeting: Goshen Meeting
- Branch: Pre-separation
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 10 December 1738
- Place of death: Goshen, Pa.
- Works by:
Thomas Evans, son of Evan ap Evan was born in 1650 or 1651 at Fran Goch, near Bala, Merionetshire, Wales. W illiam John and Thomas Evans were in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania near the end of the year 1697 and chose Gwynedd as the place of settlement. He then became a convinced Friend. Evans and his first wife Ann (d. 1716) had eight children. He married for the second time in 1722, to Hannah Price Davies (or Davids, or David), a widow. From 1737 to 1738, Evans was an overseer at Goshen Meeting. He died on December 10, 1738 in Goshen, Pennsylvania.
- Jordan, Colonial families of Phila., p. 1467.
- Haines, Clovercroft Chronicles, p. 179.
- Jenkins, Historical collections relating to Gwynedd.
- Glenn, Merlon in the Welsh Tract, p. 121.