EVANS, Mary Lownes Smith, 1809-1887
From Quaker Dictionary
Mary Lownes Smith Evans (June 1, 1809 - July 1, 1887), from Philadelphia, was a painter and the wife of Charles Evans.
- Name: Mary Lownes Smith Evans
- Alternative names: Mary Lownes Smith
- Gender: F
- Birth date: 1 June 1809
- Place of birth:
- Nationality: US
- Spouse(s): Charles Evans (m. 1836)
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 1 July 1887
- Place of death: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Works by: Glimpses by seal and land (1870)
Mary Lownes Smith was born on June 1, 1809 to Robert and Mary (Bacon) Smith. In 1836, she married EVANS, Charles, 1802-1879, M.D. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She had an artistic gift, especially in the field of painting. She died on July 1, 1887 in West Philadelphia.
- The Friend (Phila.), 61, no. 1:8, 101:182.
- Haines, Clovercroft Chronicles, p. 335.