EVANS, Evan, 1684-1747
From Quaker Dictionary
Evan Evans (1684 - July 24, 1747) was a Welsh-American Friend and minister in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania.
- Name: Evan Evans
- Alternative names:
- Gender: M
- Birth date: 1684
- Place of birth: Merionethshire, Wales
- Nationality: Wales, US
- Spouse(s): Elizabeth Musgrave (m. 1713)
- Branch: Pre-separation
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 24 July 1747
- Place of death:
- Works by:
Evan Evans was born in in Merionetshire, Wales, in 1684 to Thomas and Ann Evans. In 1698, he came with his parents to Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. He married Elizabeth Musgrave in 1713.
As a minister, he travelled with his relation, John Evans, through most of the American colonies but especially in the adjacent counties of Pennsylvania, where new meetings had been established. Evan Evans was attacked with his last illness while travelling on Truths account and died on July 24, 1747. He was burried in Gwynedd.
- Piety Promoted, 11th part, b. 391.
- Haines, Clovercroft Chronicles, p. 180.
- Phila. Y. Mtg., Col. of memorials, 1787, P. 137.
- Comly, Friends Misc., 3:373.
- John Smith's ms., 1:655.
- Churchman, An account of the gospel labours, 1780, pp. 36, 37.