COPE, Thomas Pim, 1823-1900
From Quaker Dictionary
- Name: Thomas Pim Cope
- Alternative names: Thomas P. Cope
- Gender: M
- Birth date: 7 February 1823
- Place of birth: Philadelphia, PA
- Nationality: US
- Spouse(s): Elizabeth Waln Stokes (m. 1849)
- Children: Henry (b. 1850), Francis (b. 1852), Mary Stokes (b. 1853), Eleanor (b. 1854), Margaret (b. 1856), John Stokes (b. 1857), Arthur (b. 1859), Walter (b. 1861), Alban (b. 1864)
- Meeting: Germantown Monthly Meeting
- Branch: Pre/Orthodox
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 22 October 1900
- Place of death: “Awbury,” Germantown, Philadelphia, PA
- Works by:
b. 7 Feb. 1823, Phila., Pa., s. Henry and Rachel (Reeve) Cope,
1835, attended Haverford College (then called Haverford School).
m., 1849, Elizabeth Wistar Stokes. Eight children
Elder, Accompanied Samuel Morris to Europe.
ca. 1864, founded Awbury, Germantown, Phila., with rare collection of trees, shrubs, &c.
A rare saint, with views ahead of his time. Depl disownment for "marrying out."
Published: Passages from the life and writings c George Fox, 1881.
Passages from the life and writings c William Penn, 1882.
Views of Christian Doctrine, (being a condensation of Barclay's Apology), 1882.
Passages from Holy Writ, 1894. (Chas and arranged for family reading . )
d. 22 Oct. 1900, "Awbury," Germantown, Phila. his 78th year,
The Friend (Phila.), 74(1901):144.
Haverford Coll, matriculate catalogue, p. 12.
Cope, A record of the Cope family, 1861, p. 215.