COPE, Samuel, 1789-1871
From Quaker Dictionary
- Name: Samuel Cope
- Alternative names:
- Gender: M
- Birth date: 28 February 1789
- Place of birth: East Bradford Township, Pa.
- Nationality: US
- Spouse(s): Mary Ann Pusey
- Children: 6
- Disowned date: --
- Death date: 11 November 1871
- Place of death: East Bradford Township, Pa.
- Works by:
b. 28 Feb. 1789, East Bradford Township, Chester Pa., s. Abiah and Jane (Morris) Cope.
m., 1821, Mary Ann Pusey (d. 1822).
m. (2d), 1835, Ann Williams. Six children.
1828, an elder.
Visited three Y. Mtgs., besides his own, and all the meetings of Ph: Y. Mtg., some of them several times.
Had a ready Irish wit, and was gay without folly with young people. Possessed a strong constitution, favoured with good health. Ten years before his death he became almost blind.
d. 11 Nov. 1871, East Bradford, Pa., in his 82d a minister ca. 36 years.
- The Friend (Phila.), 45(1871):112.
- Cope, A record of the Cope family, pp. 41, 65.
- Piety Promoted, 12th part, p. 418.
- Phila. Y. Mtg., Memorials concerning deceased Friends, 1875, p. 179.